Tuesday 21 April 2015

Coffey Man Interviews: Davey Moore

Hello everybody! It had been a long while since I made the last blog post, but here I am - with an email interview I had conducted with Davey Moore, a children's television writer on his career, his time on Thomas & Friends and so much more.

DISCLAIMER:
All opinions expressed in interviews belong solely to the people interviewed, and do not reflect the opinions of myself, Davey Moore and HiT Entertainment.

Davey Moore


  How did you start work on the Children's television media, as well as to becoming a writer?
A friend of a friend got me two weeks work experience at an independent children's television production company called Ragdoll. I had a very, very lucky break there when Anne Wood, the Creative Director of the company, offered me a job. I worked in their publishing department for two years. After that I worked at the BBC for a while and then I started working for myself. It took a few years to gradually work my way towards writing scripts. My TV scriptwriting break was on a show called Balamory. I've been working fairly steadily since then – although I only stopped writing books and comic strips a few years ago.

  How did you get a position into writing episode stories for Thomas & Friends?
After gaining years of experience writing on other shows, I was invited to join the Thomas team for season 17 by the Lead Writer – Andrew Brenner. We had both worked on another show. I love working with Andrew. He knows the world of Thomas really well, he loves the style of the original books and he really "gets" the show. He has so much integrity.

  You've added in some unique humour into your writing style for the episodes, how did it all work out?
Thank you, that's kind of you to say. I think a good season of Thomas should include different types of stories. I tend to do the more gentle or comedic episodes. In Thomas's world, there's plenty of opportunity for comical ego-deflating and for physical and visual humour. There are a lot strong and vivid characters and sometimes it's nice just to put two together and imagine how they might get along – or not!

  What is the best thing about writing for Thomas?
From a very personal view point, each episode can be like a little character study – and I love that! From a professional point of view, the best thing about writing for Thomas is working with a team of people who know and love the world so well. And from a more general view, it's lovely to write for a show that is so much part of the cultural landscape – everyone recognises Thomas. And it's so British, yet it appeals to people all over the World. Which is lovely and makes me a little bit proud.

  I have just found out that you were the writer of the online Thomas shorts called 'Thomas Around the World' for YouTube, how fun is writing the shorts so far?
I was nervous when I started as the episodes are very different – in presentation and in content – to Thomas & Friends. It took a while for us to establish the right tone. I think it works, though. I hope so! It will be interesting to see what you make of it. I hope people take it in the spirit it has been created – a fun opportunity to give a Thomas view of the World.

  Are you familiar with Thomas as a kid, prior to your current job as the episode writer?
I certainly had some Thomas books when I was growing up. As for the TV show, I was about 12, I think, when it started. I didn't really know too much about the series until I started working on it in 2011 – so I had a lot of catching up to do. I'm glad to be working on the show with the current team. I think they all do a really good job.

  Do you have any favourite Thomas stories, especially ones that you've worked on so far?
The other day, I had the privilege to watch a season nineteen episode by Lee Pressman. It's a brilliant episode! Very simple, so child relatable and very funny. I loved it!
Of my own episodes, Luke's New Friend is a favourite because it's the first episode I wrote and it seems to have been popular with parents. Apart from that, it's probably the one I am working on now!

  Do you have a favourite character in Thomas?
I have favourites in different ways. Some I like because they are kind of irrepressible – like Toby. Others I like because they can be a little naughty – and that's fun to write. Others I like because they can be a bit pompous – and that can be funny. Let's say Toby. Who wouldn't want to be more like Toby?

  What other children's television shows do you work on outside of Thomas?
Two shows I have loved working on are Rastamouse and a new series called Puffin Rock. Both are made with love and care by a dedicated team of wonderfully creative people.

  Do you have some advice to give to those who are partially interested in writing their own stories?

I don't have a ready answer to this so today I am going to say: think about who you are writing for. If you are writing for a show – then try and pick up the tone of the show. If you are writing for a particular audience – then think about where they are in their lives and try to give them what they want and need. But if you are writing for yourself – then it must be fun, otherwise, what's the point? If you ask me again another day, though, I might have thought of a better answer. Or, at least, a more concise one!

I would like to thank Davey Moore for generously taking his time to answer the questions for the interview. More interviews will be coming in a near future! You can also check out Davey's wonderful website showcasing his works as the writer so far: http://www.daveymoore.com

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment